Friday, July 12, 2013

Feeling Wild & Dirty tonight? ~ Recipe

I recently made my world famous (well at least around my house) Wild & Dirty Rice for dinner!  I was craving wild rice but wasn't sure what I would make as the main course that would be good with wild rice on the side.  I also didn't have enough of any one vegetable to make with a meal, because I only had a little of this, and a bit of that left over.  Then it hit me, why not make Wild & Dirty Rice.

Wild & Dirty Rice

The beauty of this meal is that it is so easy to cook, makes very little mess, and you use what you have on hand, therefore it's never exactly the same twice.  I had exactly 1-1/2 cups of wild rice so I put on a pot of rice to cook.  [1-1/2 cups of rice, 3 cups of water, and 2 beef bullion cubes (if I am using beef with the meal)].

When the rice is almost done...

In a deep skillet I brown a pound of extra lean ground beef, sprinkling in a bit of Mrs Dash Onion Herb seasoning and some Creole Seasoning (both to taste).  Once the meat is browned I added the following:

These ingredients are what I had on hand, feel free mix it up and add what ever you like.

2 Diced up green onions
1/2 a large carrot, (grated)
1 large handful of diced frozen green bell peppers (or use fresh)
1 handful of diced frozen red bell peppers (or use fresh)
5 Okra's from my garden (sliced)
1 can Diced Tomatoes (canned because mine are not ready in the garden yet)
1 left over ear of corn (cut corn off the cob or use a small can of corn drained)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
A little more Creole Seasoning (to taste)


Cook til everything is heated through.  Then add 1 head's worth of broccoli florets to the top, put a lid on, turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the cooked wild rice to the meat & veggies, mix together and serve!  Super easy, super delicious!

The Key ingredient in my Wild & Dirty Rice


  Keeper of 1 husband, 2 grandkids, 2 dogs,
3 cats, and various Chickens!

Follow on Bloglovin



Did this post stir something inside of you?  Leave me a comment, I would love to know what you're thinking!!!