Thursday, August 7, 2014

Recipe ~ My Splendalicious Peach Bread Pudding

I have 17 hens that are all laying so I get about 13 to 17 eggs every day.  We eat some and sell the rest to our neighbors and friends.  I'm like a chicken pimp...my 'girls' gotta pay for their own food, and they do a very good job of it.  Most of the time I can barely keep up with demand.  But every once in a while I have a few of my regulars go on a vacation at the same time and I will accumulate some extras.  On those occasions I like to find a good recipe to use up the excess.  One of my all-time favorite recipes is my Splendalicious Peach Bread Pudding.

Its called Splendalicious for obvious reasons...I make it with Splenda instead of sugar.  Today I am sharing this recipe with you.  If you're not a Splenda user don't worry, I have included directions for both with and without sugar.  My bread pudding is moist without being custard-like, but if you prefer the custard style, I've included that modification in the recipe as well. 

Splendalicious Peach Bread Pudding



You will need:


About 12 Slices of White or Wheat Sandwich Bread. When making this recipe today I even used a couple of stale hotdog buns left over.  Stale breads are best for this recipe.
**If you don't have any stale bread you can buy a loaf of sandwich bread, let 12 slices sit out on a dish on the counter for half a day, rotating the pieces periodically so they get equally stale.  The stale bread absorbs the wet mixture much better.



9 Medium to Large Eggs (13 if you like a more custard-like bread pudding.)

24 Packets of Splenda OR 1 Cup of Sugar

1 Can Evaporated Low Fat Milk -12 oz

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon

1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg

1/2 Teaspoon Orange Zest (I use McCormicks Ground Valencia Orange Peel)

3/4 Cup Diced Peaches packed in water, drained. (* you can replace this with equal amounts of canned pears or apples, drained, or even raisins).

Glass Baking Dish (I use an 8" x 8" Pyrex but any equivalent size baking dish will do)

Butter Flavored Cooking Spray

Foil

How to Prepare:


Place oven rack in center of oven.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl tear bread slices into pieces slightly smaller than quarter size.



In a medium mixing bowl whisk together sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest, and eggs.

 Pour diced peaches on top of bread pieces, then pour egg mixture over the bread and peaches, gently blend with a large spoon just until all pieces of bread are wet. Do Not Over Mix!


Spray the baking dish with a butter flavored cooking spray.  Pour the bread pudding mixture into the dish, sprinkle a bit of Cinnamon on the top.



Lay a sheet of foil over the dish but don't wrap it around the dish.  It is only used to keep the top from browning and drying too fast.  Place the dish into the over.  Bake for 60 minutes.



Remove the foil tent and bake another 15 minutes.  Top should then become a pretty golden brown.

Remove from oven, cover again with the foil, this time wrapping it around the edges of the dish, and let it stand for 10 minutes.  



Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (I was out and only had vanilla with blackberries, it was still good).  
 


Store leftovers in a covered dish in the refrigerator.  Bread pudding is wonderful cool or warm.  You can re-heat in the microwave later if you like it warm.  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have.  I've been making it since I was a teenager.  If you make it,  please let me know what you think, okay?



Keeper of 1 husband, 2 grandkids, 3 dogs,
3 cats, and 17 Chickens!

 
Follow on Bloglovin




Did this post stir something inside of you? If so, Please leave me a comment, I would love to know what you're thinking!!!

***This post shared over at the 'From the Farm Blog Hop'.***